Riu and Apple
Vacation Quote systems Bottom of Page

Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in
Riu Hotels & Resort
The time now is Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:49 am
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic) » Riu Merengue (Questions / Info)
WOW!! Read this...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
clfsean
None

Jobs: Unemployed

20185 Bachata Bucks
0 Playacar Pesos

Items
more...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject:   WOW!! Read this... Reply with quote

I just saw this a few minutes ago & really feel for the folks that paid big $$$$ to have this happen to them...

-cheap-deals-use-pool-toilet-urinate-sun-loungers-steal-food.html" target="_blank">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2358688/Holiday-hell-Britons-stage-sit-luxury-resort-rowdy-locals-super-cheap-deals-use-pool-toilet-urinate-sun-loungers-steal-food.html
Riu Ambassador
Riu Ambassador

Jobs: Riu Gallery, Riu Birthday, Cut & paste Review, Riu Nominator

29215366 Bachata Bucks
0 Playacar Pesos

Items
more...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: WOW!! Read this...
Subject description: YIP

clfsean wrote:
I just saw this a few minutes ago & really feel for the folks that paid big $$$$ to have this happen to them...

-cheap-deals-use-pool-toilet-urinate-sun-loungers-steal-food.html" target="_blank">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2358688/Holiday-hell-Britons-stage-sit-luxury-resort-rowdy-locals-super-cheap-deals-use-pool-toilet-urinate-sun-loungers-steal-food.html

Although not a reflection on the other RIUs in Mexico etc this is the reason I stopped visiting this hotel

As soon as the locals started to come in the hotel started to drop standards in every way

It really annoys me that they ruined my most favourite place

Cheers
Pablo
View my Riu pictures Click Here
Rainbow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jobs: Riu Birthday, Riu Fan, Riu Gallery, Cut & paste Review, Canadian Tire Money Donator, Riu Nominator, The Riu Player, Moderate and Administrate, Riully great cookie maker

146295962 Bachata Bucks
1003815250 Playacar Pesos

Items
more...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: WOW!! Read this...

Pablo wrote:
clfsean wrote:

Although not a reflection on the other RIUs in Mexico etc this is the reason I stopped visiting this hotel

As soon as the locals started to come in the hotel started to drop standards in every way

Cheers
Pablo

...that is sad... Crying or Very sad
jxmnm
Riu Rookie

2808 Bachata Bucks
0 Playacar Pesos

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had been reading about puerto plata to plan my vacation and i realized that puerto plata is in a turistic crisis http://dominicanwatchdog.org/page-Puerto_Plata_is_DEAD,_Largest_hotel_chain_RIU_desperate_to_sell_their_mega_complex and riu is gonna leave that area to focus in punta cana its a shame that whlie theyare selling this complex they dropped all standars, and also they dropped the prices almost a third of what i paid for the riu palace mexico and in colombia we have a saying that losely translate like " what is cheap ended up being expensive" or "lo barato sale caro"

keith5919
Riu Ambassador
Riu Ambassador

Jobs: Cut & paste Review, Riu Fan, The Riu Player

57699872 Bachata Bucks
5902 Playacar Pesos

Items
more...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also been following this development on another site. For us, here in Michigan, the Puerto Plata Rius used to be very cheap. Now, they're much higher in price than the Rius in Punta Cana when doing a vacation package. That is probably due to very high air prices into Puerto Plata from the U.S. There used to be many carriers going in there, including charters. That's a thing of the past.
Senior Riu Ambassador
Senior Riu Ambassador

Jobs: Riu Fan, Riu Birthday, Riu Gallery, Riu Nominator

29084825 Bachata Bucks
0 Playacar Pesos

Blog

Items
more...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I stayed at the RIU Jalisco, there was also an influx of locals on the weekend. The atmosphere of the resort changed drastically. The locals were at the swim up bar an throwing their cigarette butts in the pool rather than using the ashtray in front of them. There was food everywhere around the pool left on the loungers and on the ground. These people were animals. Kids were diving off the surrounding rock into the Jacuzzi. I have no idea where the parents were but we decided to go back to our rooms before someone got hurt. Since we were there for 2 weeks we went on excursion on the weekends. Things went back to normal Mon-Fri...

Riu Yucatan 1999, 2000,2006,2007,2010,2011,2012 x2, 2013
Riu Playacar 2001
Riu Jalisco 2002/03/04
Riu Bambu 2005,2007,2009
Riu Orlando 2006
keith5919
Riu Ambassador
Riu Ambassador

Jobs: Cut & paste Review, Riu Fan, The Riu Player

57699872 Bachata Bucks
5902 Playacar Pesos

Items
more...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Big Bambu wrote:
When I stayed at the RIU Jalisco, there was also an influx of locals on the weekend. The atmosphere of the resort changed drastically. The locals were at the swim up bar an throwing their cigarette butts in the pool rather than using the ashtray in front of them. There was food everywhere around the pool left on the loungers and on the ground. These people were animals. Kids were diving off the surrounding rock into the Jacuzzi. I have no idea where the parents were but we decided to go back to our rooms before someone got hurt. Since we were there for 2 weeks we went on excursion on the weekends. Things went back to normal Mon-Fri...

I've read about that too at the Jalisco, but it didn't happen the two times we were there.

It's too bad about the Merengue. It used to be one of my favorite resorts.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jobs: Moderate and Administrate, Riu Fan, New Review

109260930 Bachata Bucks
4806134 Playacar Pesos

Blog

Items
more...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: WOW!! Read this...

Pablo wrote:
clfsean wrote:

Cheers
Pablo

Where do you go now Pablo?

pics > http://goo.gl/zNeHL
JoLee
Official Riu Bambuer
Official Riu Bambuer

Jobs: Riu Fan, Move old reviews, Riu Nominator

5328749 Bachata Bucks
0 Playacar Pesos

Items
more...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith5919 wrote:
The Big Bambu wrote:

I've read about that too at the Jalisco, but it didn't happen the two times we were there.

It's too bad about the Merengue. It used to be one of my favorite resorts.

Been reading this also. BAD... loved the Rius. in P.Plata.
Some in MEXICO are getting BAD also... and it's not just the Riu's Lots of resorts Bring in the Bus loads.

RIU Mambo Dec 2005
RIU Mambo Dec 2006
RIU Lupita Jun 2007
RIU Taino Dec 2008
RIU Vallarta Dec 2009, Apr 2010, Dec 2010, Dec 2011, May 2012
RIU Emerald Bay Jun 2011, Dec 2012
RIU Vallarta June 2013
Pablo
Riu Ambassador
Riu Ambassador

Jobs: Riu Gallery, Riu Birthday, Cut & paste Review, Riu Nominator

29215366 Bachata Bucks
0 Playacar Pesos

Items
more...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: WOW!! Read this...

peterhr wrote:
Pablo wrote:
clfsean wrote:

Cheers
Pablo

To a little gem I had recommended to me in Portugal its a hideaway for people from my profession its a 4/5 star

Lovely wee place where we can relax
View my Riu pictures Click Here
peterhr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jobs: Moderate and Administrate, Riu Fan, New Review

109260930 Bachata Bucks
4806134 Playacar Pesos

Blog

Items
more...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: WOW!! Read this...

Pablo wrote:
peterhr wrote:
[ snip ]

To a little gem I had recommended to me in Portugal its a hideaway for people from my profession its a 4/5 star

Lovely wee place where we can relax

...and no overnight flight (unless you choose to do it that way)

pics > http://goo.gl/zNeHL
Bamelin
None

24751 Bachata Bucks
0 Playacar Pesos

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened in 2003 when my wife and I stayed at RIU Bachata (part of the same complex) on our honeymoon. It wasn't as bad as what I'm reading, but basically on the weekends hundreds of locals would descend on the resort complex.

This was the first year RIU Bachata was in operation, it had just opened, and was supposedly the "5 star" of the 3 hotels.

We tried Punta Cana a few years later (Gran Bahia Principe) and while we liked that part of the DR more than Peurto Plata, in the end we have decided that DR is not for us. We much prefer Mexico Cancun or Playa Del Carmen ... we may try Jamaica this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic) » Riu Merengue (Questions / Info)
Jump to: